On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 12:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > There is a gcc wrapper (klcc) for compiling applications with klibc.
> > Gzip, ash, and syslinux are already ported. Is tar the only missing
> > item?
>
> Tar is not the only thing missing, f.e. there is no makedevs utility
> available and probably some other tools we need in linuxrc.

Eric,
Point taken. There are quite a few missing pieces. :-(

        Note: I believe udev replaced makedevs in linux 2.6.

> But the whole initramfs is only supported with kernel 2.6, moving to this
> kernel is not only (optional) moving to initramfs but changing a lot in
> other packages, recompiling, change scripts, sysfs, etc.
>
> I really don't see a real need now to move to kernel 2.6 and open a can of
> worms. Ofcourse we will move sometime and in the meantime we will look
> into all needed changes.

Noted, and as I said before, I'm not recommending Bering uClibc move yet
or ever. I still think we should evaluate and work up some
prof-of-concept/Alpha linux_2.6+initramfs release for the community to
play with.

I'll stop now. :-(

SF.net Projects: leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs