Hi Martin

Martin Hejl wrote:
> Hi Erich,
>
>>> If you change the config, the safest way (I'm going from memory here, I
>>> didn't double-check this) would be to do
>>>
>>> $ ./buildtool.pl srcclean busybox
>>> $ ./buildtool.pl build busybox
>>
>> I am afraid this will erase my modifications.
> No, it won't, unless you're making the modifications in the extracted
> sources (instead of in your apps-checkout). If you make your changes in
> the checkout of "apps", no buildtool command will be able to erase those.
> If you're talking about changes that you are currently making (because
> you're still working on it), then yes, you're right - but for those
> kinds of changes, not being able to track upstream changes is no big
> deal (since, you would copy them to your apps checkout after you've
> confirmed that things work - that's exactly why buildtool has that
> "don't overwrite files" config-setting - it's extremely annoying to have
> buildtool trash a file that one has just spent all evening on...).

Yes, and this happened to me more often than I want to admit.

> One thing to keep in mind - do not make changes to the extracted sources
> (since yes, those will be deleted/overwritten with buildtool).

I am not sure I understand completely.

Example:

I want to make a small modification in the kernel configuration. What
directory will these changes be made in, as it is neither in apps nor
contrib. Basically the sources reside in

$BUILDROOT/source/linux/

the mods are done using menuconfig, which will make a modified .config
in the linux subdirectory.

So far so good, now I am trying to compile the kernel using this config
file.

.... ./buildtool.pl build kernel

this sounds logical to me, but now nothing happens, buildtool appears to
be happy with what it got, no need to do something. This is where I am
stuck.

cheers

Erich