Mike

Mike Noyes wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 07:23, Erich Titl wrote:
>> Mike Noyes wrote:

>> If you provide software to download the source then the link it points
>> to _must_not_be_altered_.
>>
>> This is pretty sensible.
>
> Eric,
> That's the way I understood things also (linking to up-stream source was
> permissible when distributing unmodified binaries), but DSL and MEPIS
> were contacted by the FSF for doing exactly that.

Mhhh... is the final GPL out yet? This is not coherent with Stallmans
interview and it does not make sense either.

Having to maintain a proper source tree for each and every source is
nonsense. It will lead to a growing number of incompatible source
distros, because maintenance will be a nightmare.

The community should contact FSF to get the real reason for such utter
nonsense and speak out against it. After all the FSF is (should be)
community driven.

cheers

Erich