Hi Andrew

on 19.06.2011 18:56, Andrew wrote:
> 19.06.2011 19:29, Erich Titl пишет:
>> on 19.06.2011 17:31, Andrew wrote:

>>> some later, now I haven't enough time (it may require 1-2 weeks).
>> Maybe there is place for discussion in this area. I would like to see
>> much of all those perl dirty tricks disappear altogether.
>>
> There is standard schema: toolchain (gcc and so on that is running on
> host CPU) into one directory (toolchain), and all binaries that must be
> executed on target CPU - into staging dir.
> There are some examples (as example you can look into script for
> toolchain compilation for MIPS:
> http://gitorious.org/wive-rtnl-ralink-rt305x-routers-firmware/wive-rtnl-ralink-rt305x-routers-firmware/blobs/master/toolchain/build_toolchain.sh
>
> ).
> Rewrite toolchain assembly isn't too hard, update buildtool.pl isn't
> much harder. But I think that all packages should require makefile
> fixing - thai is main headache.
>>>>
>>> Conflicts are resolved better than in CVS - GIT doesn't allow you to
>>> overwrite file modified by somebody else.
>> But sometimes this is the goal.
>>
>> And merge is automatically
>>> done if you
>> Right, but that is not alway what one wants.

>>> New branch is based on main branch (or other remote/local branch). So if
>>> there are changes in main branch - you can do rebase for your local
>>> branch, to import changes into your branch.
>> So if I just create a branch, what will be contained in that branch and
>> how is it synchronized to the rest of the tree. How do I just touch a
>> single component and still get all the updates from others in the game,
>> while not working in the same branch anymore? The whole concept is
>> really different from all the other versioning tools I have seen and
>> that includes SCCS, RCS, CVS and SVC. I am under the impression to have
>> completely lost control about the versioning tool, instead of gaining
>> control over the project.
> When you are on your local branch, just do:
> git pull; git rebase main

And what exactly does that? This is just wooblygops to me. What is a
local branch as opposed to a remote branch? It is just a branch, right.
And as opposed to the main branch it has a name.

What if I don't want to forward my whole foodledoo branch to the main
branch, but just a few modifications I made. Is is best to make them on
the main branch? How do I synchronize them to my foodledoo branch then?

>> How is the integration of git into make? Can we automatically get a file
>> out of GIT to resolve a 'make dependency' or is this not needed at all?
>> A bit off topic, I know, but there are just holes in my conception, but
>> then I never saw any of such errors in the ancient versioning control
>> systems as I have seen in the last few weeks.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Erich
>>
> There is no integration. Git is separate, make (and buildtool that
> fetches files from anywhere if you specified - including CVS/GIT/etc
> trees) is separate.

Horrible, 'make' has a very fine knowledge of dependencies if used
correctly and the buildtool sugar is not that sweet.

> Now files are 'fetched' (using symlinks) from 'repo' directory.

I know that.

You may
> 'fetch' them from other place (be copying, symlink or something else).
> Also there is 'sources.local' file for specifying sources that aren't
> into main branch (I planning to exclude it out from git and make
> auto-generation of blank file if there is no file by buildtool.pl).

Mhh... what for if they are just 'local'?

cheers

Erich