Hi Erich;

Am Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011, 18:29:26 schrieb Erich Titl:
> on 19.06.2011 17:31, Andrew wrote:
> > 19.06.2011 17:20, Erich Titl пишет:
> >> Hi Andrew

> > Removing staging/i486-pc-linux-uclibc (and possible i486-* in
> > staging/bin) doesn't help for you?
>
> Maybe it would, just that this is not clear at the moment, as buildtool
> is fouled up and requires many hours of recompile, hardly what I would
> call a seamless operation.

I understand your frustation today, but I'm confident the git repositories and
our knowledge will improve over time, so accidents like you had will vanish.

> >> Again, very frustrating. We need an environment which does not have to
> >> be rebuilt just because the kernel has changed.
> >>
> >> - a stable compile environment is mandatory
> >> - stable libraries (uClibc)
> >> - dependencies must be obeyed, e.g. dependencies of libraries from the
> >> kernel
> >>
> >> Maybe these are all legacy issues, still IMHO not acceptable and maybe
> >> this is the reason why we have so little contribution.
> >
> > Toolchain and buildtool needs a lot of work - now toolchain is slightly
> > modified variant of 3.x branch (just updated and with small patches),
> > with a lot of ugly hacks and magic tricks. This will be rewritten - but
> > some later, now I haven't enough time (it may require 1-2 weeks).
>
> Maybe there is place for discussion in this area. I would like to see
> much of all those perl dirty tricks disappear altogether.
>
> >> As to GIT, what is the easiest way to avoid conflicting changes in the
> >> repository? Creating a local branch of main/master.... whatever? Who
> >> does the merge and resolves conflicts?
> >
> > Conflicts are resolved better than in CVS - GIT doesn't allow you to
> > overwrite file modified by somebody else.
>
> But sometimes this is the goal.

I guess Andrews statement misses  "automatically" before "overwrite".

> And merge is automatically
>
> > done if you
>
> Right, but that is not alway what one wants.

> >> How can we, for example, have most packages in the main branch and a few
> >> in another, then create objects from both?
> >
> > New branch is based on main branch (or other remote/local branch). So if
> > there are changes in main branch - you can do rebase for your local
> > branch, to import changes into your branch.
>
> So if I just create a branch, what will be contained in that branch and
> how is it synchronized to the rest of the tree. How do I just touch a
> single component and still get all the updates from others in the game,
> while not working in the same branch anymore? The whole concept is
> really different from all the other versioning tools I have seen and
> that includes SCCS, RCS, CVS and SVC. I am under the impression to have
> completely lost control about the versioning tool, instead of gaining
> control over the project.

:))

Have you had look into Davids notes about using git?

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/leaf/index.php?title=Bering-uClibc_4.x_-
_Developer_Guide_-_Hints_and_Tips_for_using_Git_SCM

It helped me a lot esp. with local branches.
In fact I was puzzled to see files added, removed or updated on my local disk
just with "git checkout <branch>" - I was under the impression I've lost
control over my harddisk :)