Andrew;

Am Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011, 13:16:35 schrieb Andrew:
> 19.06.2011 13:48, KP Kirchdoerfer пишет:
> > Hi Erich;
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011, 12:09:36 schrieb Erich Titl:
> >> Hi KP

> >> I have no clue what FRS stands for, but a versioning system is for
> >> things that change, like source, header and config files and, of course,
> >> documentation. It is a nuisance that the binaries are a part of the
> >> development system and show up in the commit info.
> >
> > The FRS is the File Release System of SF; the place where you can
> > download the images.
> >
> > Yes we "abused" the version systems (in the past cvs, today git) to store
> > our binary packages. Adding the binaries into FRS will clutter it even
> > more than it is today. Note that the versions system is the place that
> > we can mostly control ourself - it's just a plain service from SF and we
> > can do almost whatever we like to, mainly a black box for SF. Whereas
> > the FRS and other file related services are under the control of SF and
> > the way they can be accessed, the interfaces etc. change from time to
> > time. Sometimes they are slow, sometimes defunct and every change needs
> > a rework of our processes. "Ab'-using the versions systems has been
> > pretty stable over the years.
> >
> >> One solution might be to put the packages out of the git tree, so no
> >> packages directory under buildtool. It should not disturb the underlying
> >> make structure or whatever is used to build the packages.
> >
> > The binaries are not under buildtool, they are on the same level as
> > buildtool.
> >
> > In the past, and once we are used to work with branches I'll like to see
> > that again, we had put the binaries into cvs. With genpage.pl it was
> > possible to create automatically a "packages page" that had relevant
> > information about packages (from buildtool.cfg), package date, packager,
> > Changelog from binary commits, and a link to the package.
> > Thus it was possible to fetch and download an updated package after it
> > was committed (shorewall with the fast and minor fixes was a good
> > candidate) and before we had build new images. It was a quick and proven
> > method to provide fixes.
> > And while having full control, we could even manage more or less
> > fine-grained upload permissions. Every leaf developer can add binaries
> > and sources (previously in the contrib sections, nowadays more open)
> > uploading via FRS requires admin, or part of, permissions, not easy to
> > deal with and I'd like to avoid.
> >
> > I agree, in theory it does look bad. But then, what are you're real
> > problems having binaries in git?
> > I'm working on LEAF for a few years, used cvs and now git, had binaries
> > side by side with the sources and build system all the time and it never
> > caused any harm for me.
> >
> > kp
>
> Possible, we should make separate git repository for binaries? :) For
> ex., leaf/binary?

I believe I've already mentioned that before and will give it a try, if you
create the repository and give a short note what I have to do :)
But please don't touch existing bin yet.

> In that case we 1) will have smaller development repository ( = faster
> time to checkout at first time for developers), and 2) we also can
> reduce directory depth again by removing 'buildtool' level.
>
> Also I think that we should move BuC4 project from default repository
> leaf/leaf to new, for ex., leaf/buc4, for more clear development process
> in case when new LEAF projects (BuC5, or BuC-MIPS with root on squashfs
> for embedded routers, or some thing else) will be started. Of course we
> can do this some later, when it'll be comfortable for other developers,
> but IMHO it should be done before preparing to next release.

Now im getting confused and start to agree with Erich :)

You've moved everything from bering-uclibc4 to buildtool and bering-uclibc4 is
now empty. Now ask for - what?

Please explain your idea a bit more; what is buildtool for? What should be in
bering-uclibc4 and bering-uclibc-foo???

As Erich I'd like to have something that stays for more than a few days.