Chris:
        Akshally...the error snuck in because I
*was* using DHCP. So I had $DHCP_SERVER defined,
and so the badly formed if statement didn't cause
a problem for me.
        Glad it's all better now!

        Another thing I learned this weekend: when
using Windows to write downloaded kernel modules to
a floppy...it'll take a name like "ip_masp_pptp.o"
and change it to "ip_masq~1.o" That is, from your
LRP box's pov, the name is in 8.3 DOS format. So,
when you cp it into your LRP /lib/modules directory,
be sure to name it what it was originally. Else it
won't load, and you could be introduced to "kernel
panics"...

cheers,
Scott