This is what I have done.  **SIGH**
Recreated the disk from file eigerstein_1_img_eigerstein.exe.
Copy modules tulip.o and rtl8139.o to /lib/modules.
Changed file /etc/modules - uncommented tulip and added the line rtl8139
after the tulip line.
In network.conf change IF_DHCP to say IF_DHCP="eth0 eth2".
Backed up the entire disk.
Reboot.
IP ADDR SHOW lists eth0 eth1 and eth2.
When I do this the result listed earlier in the post happens.
If I change in the EXTERN_IF="eth0" to EXTERN_IF="eth0 eth2" in network.conf
as well as having IF_DHCP="eth0 eth2" - then I get a bunch of line at boot
that scroll very fast that look like the say something like "Try
'/sbin/ipchains--help ......" or something like that.
After seeing IP Chains errors it makes me wonder if this may be causeing the
problem - since I can not bring down the entire network just to try stuff, I
am having to test on the existing network.  Which is as follows:

       hands out IPs 192.168.0.XXX numbers
DSL ---------> Router -|
                       |-->
                            LRP - crossover cable -> Laptop to test with
                       |-->
Cable Modem -> Router -|
        hands out IPs 192.168.1.XXX numbers

Could this be causing problems??