From: Jeff Newmiller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 12:03 PM
To: David McBride
Cc: LEAF list (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Leaf-user] LRP withoutDHCPD, Firewall, and Masq - advice

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, David McBride wrote:

> Sorry for the confusing post, I hope this is more helpful.
> I am trying to get a LRP box going that does not use dhcpd, firewall or
> masqarading.  This is a diagram of the network at present.  I can not
> shutdown the office LAN, so this configuration is for testing, when I have
> proved I can make it work my boss will let me switch it over to putting
the
> LRP before the hub.  The router will still handle the DHCP, firewall, and
> masquarding.  I know that it looks like the LRP is going to be doing
nothing
> but passing along packets, but if this works I will put another NIC in the
> LRP and connect it to a cable modem and hopefully combine the two
> bandwidths.

The bit about combining the bandwidths seems to have significant strings
attached, and if you oversell the result then your boss is going to be
doubly upset about the time that will be required for you to learn what
doesn't work.

>  Because of the situation, I have to prove each step so that my
> boss will let me proceed.
>
> DSL router                                   crossover
> uses dhcp to          eth1 192.168.1.254     cable
> give out      >----> hub >-----------LRP >------------>laptop
> 192.168.1.xxx         eth0 192.168.1.144              manual configure
> DSL router                                            IP,DNS,and Gateway
> IP is 192.168.1.1

I think you have some basic misunderstandings of TCP happening here. To
get from the DSL router to the laptop, a packet must go to 192.168.1.254
first.  Most cheap masqing dsl routers do not allow you to add routes to
their configurations like this... they expect all 253 of the host
addresses to be on the same LAN.

Setting up the LRP to work in this configuration involves proxy-arp or
transparent bridging, both of which require quite different configurations
than a box sitting in the DSL router's position would use.  Thus, the two
positions are not interchangeable by any stretch of the imagination....
getting it to work in one position will prove almost nothing about how LRP
would behave in the other position.  And since Eigerstein is easy to
configure for the DSL modem's job, and Charles is only now getting
fill-in-the-blank scripts to handle the other positions tasks set up, you
will have to customize quite a bit to get your "test" configuration to
work... and why bother?

Read up on proxy-arp and transparent bridging vs. ip routing, so you can
explain this fact to your boss. Then triple-check your configuration and
do an in-place swapout at a low priority time (late evening?) so you can
tolerate a little downtime.  If you have no low priority time, then the
safest thing to do is to get another DSL connection with the same type of
DSL router to practice the transition with.

[...]

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing