On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Brock Nanson wrote:

> Having looked through the archives etc., I'm left thinking I will probably
> have to install Debian on a box somewhere so as to be able to compile
> drivers for the breezecom frequency hopping wireless card (now called
> Alvarion) I'm going to be using.

Only if you have to compile userspace programs.

> So the question is, should I be working on the 2.2.16 (potato I think)
> distribution or should I be looking at 2.2.19 (package name?) that Dachstein
> appears to be built on?  Is Dachstein mature enough to have PCMCIA support
> etc., necessary for wireless use?  My initial reaction is to go with Eiger
> but...?

You are quoting kernel version numbers... these are mostly independent of
the distribution version numbers.

When it comes to the LEAF kernel, the Dachstein 2.2.19 linux kernels are
the best option right now... Charles has included instructions for
reproducing the kernel source and binaries, so you can get that far and
then modify further to get your drivers working.

If you need to generate userspace pcmcia management programs as well, you
will either need to go with the Debian Slink distribution, or (if the
libraries in that are too old) go with David Douthitt's most recent Oxygen
LEAF, which uses the slightly more modern glibc 2.1 C standard libraries
than Slink's glibc 2.0 libraries.  With the latter, you should be able to
generate glibc 2.1-based userspace code on a Debian Potato box that will
run on Oxygen.  Check out leaf.sourceforge.net for David's developers
guide for some help on this.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing