On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Brock Nanson wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Jeff.
>
> I simply need to recompile the wireless card driver to incorporate Canadian
> frequency hopping standards and (hopefully) allow it to run on an Eiger LRP
> box.  As you can tell, I'm not very literate when it comes to compiling!  I
> have a hazy understanding of the basic steps, but the vagaries are lost on
> me!
>
> Are you saying I could do this on, say, a Redhat 7.1 box, so long as I have
> the correct libraries available?

Almost.  Read the FAQs at leaf.sourceforge.net.

Kernel code does not depend on libraries.  You can compile it on a wide
variety of systems (sometimes there are compiler features that require
newer compilers, but that hasn't been a problem for me).  So the answer
is really that you can compile the kernel and modules on a RH7.1 box
regardless of what libraries it has, since they won't be used anyway.

Libraries are only an issue for userspace programs.  While it is possible
to compile a small program on RH7.1 using backward compatibility
libraries, this doesn't seem to work well for complicated programs.
In that case, you need Debian Slink to compile.

As for "simply need to recompile the wireless card driver", be careful if
the instructions don't patch the kernel tree to make the module. Sometimes
non-mainline modules compile fine on the development machine, but getting
them to compile for another machine isn't so straightforward.  One pitfall
I have encountered involves the header directories: Make sure
/usr/include/linux is a symbolic link to /usr/src/linux/include/linux, and
/usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to the LEAF kernel source code so that
the headers your compiler finds correspond to the LEAF kernel rather than
the RH kernel. You can check this with "ls -ld /usr/include/linux" and "ls
-ld /usr/src/linux", and "mv" or "rm" the existing directories if they
don't point correctly. The "ln -s {actual} {linkname}" command creates
filesystem links. When you are done making LRP kernels, redirect at least
the include link back to the RH kernel headers so you don't stumble over
this later.

[...]

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing