Patrick Benson wrote:

> Kory Krofft wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I am slightly above a novice at linux. I am using Chuck's Dachstein
> > lrp for my home network. I am a Road Runner subscriber in a small town
> > so I have lots of bandwidth compared to friends in other locations. I
> > have been "chosen" to to host several online games for semiprivate
> > tournaments and want to be able to use a machine behind the lrp box to
> > do it. I have read the IPchains how to and am lost in the syntax. none
> > of the How -To's are clear to me what commands to place in which files
> > to be able to provide access to a game server on my internal network.
> > Please tell me how to do this and explain the commands and syntax so I
> > will have some understanding of what they do.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Kory Krofft
>
> Scott Best has a very good solution for your situation, take a look at
> his echowall.lrp package, makes port forwarding look real easy. Make a
> copy of the package and change the name to echowall.tgz and untar the
> contents. Take a look at the documentation. Instead of detecting IP
> addresses, which can change from time to time, the script uses the MAC
> addresses on the network cards. If you want to avoid complex syntax by
> editing rules on your own this is the way to go, if you want to run a
> variety of servers inside your network. But it can be healthy to
> understand how the syntax works, on the way, otherwise it will be
> difficult to detect and recognize potential intruders!...  :)
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/echowall/
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/sbest/echowall/
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Patrick Benson
> Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks. That seema to be a useful add on. I have set it up per the included
instructions. When I start the script I get :

Starting echowall..ipchains: Device or resource busy
.Warning: wierd character in interface '!lo' ( No aliases, :, ! or *).
Warning: wierd character in interface '!lo' ( No aliases, :, ! or *).
...Done
Services enabled:
QUAKE on <192.168.1.10>.
UNREAL on <192.168.1.10>.
HLIFE on <192.168.1.10>.

When I start a dedicated Quake2 or Quake3 server I am unable to connect.
Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kory