Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > - is it possible to change the root
> > ramdisk size and still booting from
> > the CD ??
>
> Yes, but you have to burn a new CD, with a different boot-floppy image.

I thought you COULD change it.  Hold down the left shift, and at the
boot: prompt type

linux ramsize=XXXXX

...and that should do it (assuming the default kernel label is
linux)...  Of course, you DO have to type it in...

> > in previous versions of dachstein:
> > ping -c 1 some.dns.name | grep PING | cut -d" ():" -f  3
> > returned only the ip address
> > 1.2.3.4
> > in dachstein cd, the same command returns
> > (1.2.3.4):
> >
> > Any idea ??
>
> The previous cut command was massively broken, and the fact that the above
> usage worked was an artifact of cut's mis-behavior.  Try the above on a
> 'normal' linux system and you'll get an error...the delimiter for cut must
> be a single character...
>
> Try using sed instead of cut:

How about this (for your entire command line):

ping -c 1 some.dns.name | sed -n '/PING/s/.*(\(.*\)):.*/\1/p'

...one sed command, no cut and no grep.