Just a note of experience, to get the scripts to pick up the ip address
assigned by the pppoe server I had to put a 15 second delay after adsl-start
in network.conf.  This was on EigerStein2BETA.exe.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Charles
Steinkuehler
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 7:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Leaf-user] Datchstein CD 1.0.2 and pppoe

> In Dachstein cd, the pppoe package contains an init script which calls
> adsl-start
> I used to call adsl-start from the if_up function in the network.conf but
> now that
> Charles has some support for pppoe , I try to follow him closely.

I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to call adsl-start from if_up, and make
ppp0 an interface configured by the standard newtork scripts.  I only
support one PPPoE connection, and it's in France (I'm in the US), so I don't
really like to 'experiment' with the system (it's too easy to leave it in a
state where it won't connect to the network at all).  This also means I
don't see any of the issues caused by the various ISP's doing PPPoE...I only
deal with one ISP, and a test-network using the Roaring Penguin PPPoE
server.

I'm open to suggestions on how best to integrate PPPoE support to the
existing network config scripts...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net