On 12/27/01 at 10:21 PM, Michael D. Schleif <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Large medical images -- some approaching gigabyte sizes.
>
> The internal network connects multiple facilities.  The
> images may need to be shared across multiple facilities.
>
> Our preferred solution is to put one (1) copy of each
> image on a large and robust fileserver inside their
> network.  The catch is, they are using proprietary systems
> for viewing and analyzing the images and we may not be
> granted access nor information adequate to implementing
> our preferred solution.  Currently, the remote sources are
> using their proprietary systems (black boxes) to
> auto-magically transfer the files directly to one (1)
> proprietary system inside our customer's network. Yes,
> this looks everyway like ftp -- except the proprietary
> system vendor says, no, it is not that simple ;>
>
> When one of these images is needed on another proprietary
> system inside this network, somebody needs to push the
> required file to another proprietary system.  Our customer
> wants ``pull'' access from any given system.
>
> In brainstorming alternatives, this occured to me:
>
>         send images
>          internet
>          firewall
>   ---------------------
>   |         |         |
>   V         V         V
> host_1    host_2    host_n ...
>
> Regardless, whether or not this is the best solution for
> this application, how can this be done?
>
> What do you think?

This sounds to me like a case for rsync + ssh.... There is, if you
need it, an rsync.lrp already - and of course, ssh.lrp.  You could set
up rsync either as a "push" or a "pull" alternative.  As a case study,
consider that there are many publicly accessibly rsync servers (the
Linux kernel site kernel.org comes to mind...)

If you could set up host_1, host_2, etc. to be rsync recipients, why
not tunnel rsync via ssh through the firewall?
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator