> hallm wrote:
>
> I recently acquired cable internet service through AT&T @Home. I
> currently lease their SURFBoard SB3100 cable modem. My intended LEAF
> box is a Pentium 120MHz with 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB floppy, 1 DLink
> DFE530TX+ NIC, and 1 NetGear FA311 NIC. The BIOS is AMIBIOS
> 1.00.02.CB0. My internal, windows box has a NetGear FA311 NIC as well.
>
> I started with Dachstein v1.0.2-1680. I uncommented pci-scan and added
> via-rhine (for the DLink NIC) and natsemi (for the NetGear NIC) in
> /etc/modules (I also tried the fa311 module without successful boot).
> The natsemi.o and via-rhine.o modules were added and backed up.
>
> I modified network.conf as follows (everything else left at default
> setting):
> MAX_LOOP=2
> HOSTNAME=BIER
> HOSTS0="eth1_IPADDR $HOSTNAME.attbi.com $HOSTNAME fw"

Hi Mike,

First, make sure that you use plain text and wrap the lines with 72
char. Otherwise there are quite a few who will not be able to see your
messages, there are lots of *nix people hanging around here...  ;-)

The line should be HOSTS0="$eth0_IPADDR, addressing your external
hostname, a name that is used with your ISP's network and identifies
yourself with it. If you are receiving an ip with DHCP from your
provider, the variable will configure this for you, automatically. You
have modified it with eth1 and that probably is what is confusing
things... Change eth1 with eth0, see what happens. Eth1 should not have
anything to do with attbi.com.... Add an internal hostname with a
HOSTS1= line instead. If you want to see kernel messages that appear at
startup use the dmesg command, which Matt mentioned, and use Shift +
Page Up & Page Down to scroll along....

> I backed up etc.
>
> When I reboot two of the last messages to appear on the console are:
> No subnet declaration for eth1 (0.0.0.0).
> Please write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the
> network segment to which eth1 is attached.
>
> I've seen some discussion in the archives regarding these messages,
> but there doesn't appear to be a consensus on the resolution. The
> Dachstein documentation implies that configuration will be automatic
> when connected to a DHCP server. Does that mean the subnet declaration
> in dhcpd.conf is OK? Or do I need to modify this file?

It seems that this confusion continues, because you are using the
dhcpd.lrp package and it thinks eth0 is eth1, etc. If you will only be
using one Win machine behind the LEAF box it would be much easier to
just add a private ip and manually add DNS and gateway in Network
properties and do away with the dhcpd.lrp package altogether. If you
want to do that just edit the syslinux.cfg and remove dhcpd. If you have
10 machines behind a LEAF box that package is a lifesaver....   :-)
The dhclient.lrp is the only one you need.

> Several perhaps pertinent messages scroll by on the console during
> boot up too fast to read (is there a way to scroll back?).

Dmesg!

> I managed to catch the following messages on screen, but not in logs:
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255:255:255:255 port 67
> DHCPOFFER 12.242.19:34
> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255:255:255:255 port 67
> DHCPACK 12:242:19.34

That looks just fine, make a notice, though, that it's addressing eth0
and not eth1, the line you modified. That's where your trouble begins..

> Does this look like a good handshake? winipcfg on the windows box
> shows that 12.242.19.34 is the ISPs DHCP server. Other pertinent info
> from winipcfg:
> MAC address: 00-02-E3-04-DA-61 (I tried to assign this number to eth0)
> IP address: 12.252.81.273
> subnet mask: 255.255.248.0
> Default Gateway: 12.252.80.1
>
> Upon logging in to LEAF box I tried to ping 192.168.1.1. This resulted
> in 100% packet loss, but the NIC lights appeared to cycle at 1 Hz as
> someone in the archives has suggested.

You will have to explain what 192.168.1.1 is....

> I executed net start with the following result:
>
> Starting Network:[IP Always Defrag: ENABLED]
>     IP Filters: firewall [IP forwarding: ENABLED]
>     Loopback interface: lo
>     Starting interface: Cannot find device eth1
> SIOCGIFFLAGS: Operation not supported by device eth1
>     Hostname: BIER
>     Static NS: 2 hosts
>
> It seems that regardless which slot the NICs are in or which order the
> module names are listed in /etc/modules, eth0 is always associated
> with the NetGear NIC. How do I force the use of the DLink NIC as eth0?

Well, as I said, switch eth1 with the $eth0_IPADDR variable, all these
messages seem to confirm that..

> Can anyone suggest what I might try next to get this LEAF box
> operational? Any help will be appreciated.

Good luck!,

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden