At 06:32 AM 2/6/02 -0700, Hall, Michael A wrote:
[...]
>lsmod shows:
>8390 (unused)
>natsemi (used by 1)
>8139too (used by 1)
>pci-scan (used by 0 [natsemi])
>
>Does this imply that 8390 is unnecessary?

Yes. I don't recall either of the actual NIC modules you use depending on 8390.o

>It seems that SHIFT-PGUP only works to scroll the screen for kernel
>messages until I log in. Is that normal?

No. But if you switch among VTs, that dofes affect the ability to scroll back.

>Now I can proceed to try to get the Win machine applications to access the
>outside world (mail, http, etc.). Is it necessary to enable these within
>network.conf?

In general, no. You do need to "enable" *incoming* services explicitly, but
not *most* outgoing services (at least not mail and http ... I don't know
what you think "etc" covers). For some "problem" services, you need to
insmod special modules to handle outgoing connections properly ... ftp is
the most common of these.