Hi Chris, hi all

I you want to block incoming connections above 1024 but don't want to block
them at all, use the -y flag of IPCHAINS.

example:
ipchains -I input -j DENY -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $EXTERNAL_IP 1024: -i
$EXTERNAL_IF -y -l

This will DENY every packet which tries to initiate a connection on ports
above 1024. All other packets will be accepted (as it is now).
Please note that active FTP for example (use passive FTP instead) will not
work anymore. Perhaps other special applications will not work, but I used
this rule for several months and didn't notice any problems, even with the
following apps: Napster, Half-Life (Counterstrike), ICQ

If you want to learn more about the -y flag, please read the section
"Specifying TCP SYN Packets Only" on
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO-4.html

---
Sandro Minola           | LEAF Developer (http://leaf.sourceforge.net)
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.minola.ch    | http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/sminola