> If you really want to "delete" a log file, the easiest way is to use:
>
> : > /var/log/messages
>
> Thank you,  Charles.  Once again you've come thru with simplicity and
elegance
> and left me
> wondering how a Unix programmer with 20 yrs experience (me) could not have
known
> that.

There's lots of little wacky things you'd never see as programmer that
you'll run into with LEAF.  The same goes for sysadmins...the limited LEAF
environment means manually getting everything going, usually at the lowest
possible level.  For instance, I learned *WAY* more about how software-RAID
works by getting it running on LEAF than I ever did by clicking "make raid"
during my RedHat install...

> Gush, gush.   Do you have a real job?

For the moment, although I think it's about time to start a pool on how long
it will be until the company implodes :<

> How do you have so much time to help us fools?

It comes and goes...right now, I'm not trying to get any major LEAF
development projects done, so I have more time to respond to list traffic...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net