On 4/3/02 at 3:17 PM, Matt Schalit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Douthitt wrote:
>
> > Packages will be backed up to whatever disk is in the
> > drive - make sure you put the appropriate disk in the
> > boot drive before backing up.

> I have a small request that the backup scripts write to
> the drive from which the package was loaded.  Would that
> be a major rewrite?

Not a major rewrite, but a major project nonetheless.

You have to add the following capabilities to the system:

* Tracking where files came from - including storing data, additions,
deletions, and everything else - a new database really.  MySQL anyone?

* Unique identifiers for disks - including checking for the right one
and error handling for the case when it isn't.

This would be a big project to get right, requires a database with
full database accessability, and identifiers for disks that are
guaranteed to be right.  What's more, what if you can't back the
package up to the right disk but want to back up to a new disk - more
functions.

Seems like a lot of extra work to me.... but that's just my personal
opinion...
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator