> Thank you for your suggestions. Things are not changed much after
> I did the following as you advised:
>
> - As per Lynn's remark, I now use only one /etc/ipsec.conf on
>   both sides. The FreeSWAN doc said that you may need to change
>   the line "interfaces=", but they are identical in this case
>   too, i.e. both use eth0.
>   So only the ipsec.secrets are different.

The previous configuration files you had looked fine...the left & right
portions on each end don't have to match, as long as each end can figure out
whether it's supposed to be "left" or "right" as defined by it's own local
configruation file.  It's perfectly OK to have both sides think they're
"left", and the other end is "right", or vise-versa...

> - The ping I did was done on an internal machine behind the firewall,
>   192.168.9.204, not on the gateway (192.168.9.254). From there
>   I tried to ping 192.168.1.202, another machine behind the
>   remote gateway.

Good...this is how you are supposed to test.

> - I removed "ip_masq_ipsec" from /etc/modules. I also set
>   eth0_IP_SPOOF=NO in /etc/network.conf

This is good as well...

> - I saw some suspicious variables in /etc/network.conf but
>   not sure if they affect anything in my case:
>
> # Accept ICMP Redirects on ALL interfaces, also depends on /proc
> # per interface IP forwarding flag. - YES/NO
> ALLIF_ACCEPT_REDIRECTS=NO
> # Need these both for interfaces run by daemons - ie PPP, CIPE, some
> #         WAN interfaces
> # IP spoofing protection by default for interfaces - YES/NO
> DEF_IP_SPOOF=YES
> eth1_IPADDR=192.168.1.254
> eth1_MASKLEN=24
> eth1_BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> eth1_IP_SPOOF=YES

All this looks OK, and shouldn't affect your IPSec link on eth0.

> - After pinging, I saw nothing particular in /var/log/auth.log
>   nor in /var/log/messages on both sides.
>
> - I think I have protocol 50, 51 and UDP port 500 set in
>   /etc/network.conf, but for sure I list the partial output from
>   net ipfilter list. You may see something wrong I have here.

It looks like you do have the required IPSec firewall rules in place:

> Extern IP: 24.83.28.213
> Chain input (policy DENY: 3 packets, 734 bytes):
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname     mark
outsize  source                destination           ports
> 11940 2123K ACCEPT     udp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth0
0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0             * ->   500
>     0     0 ACCEPT     50   ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth0
0.0.0.0/0            24.83.28.213          n/a
>     0     0 ACCEPT     51   ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth0
0.0.0.0/0            24.83.28.213          n/a

Based on everything you've reported so-far, I would either suspect firewall
rules on the remote gateway (you only listed one side, so there could be
problems with the other end), or someone filtering IPSec traffic between
your two boxes.

*MANY* ISP's are beginning to filter IPSec traffic for folks who don't pay
"business" class rates...it's easy to do, and usually prompts most actual
businesses to spend 2-3 times more for services.  You might want to check
with local user groups, and/or any online forums discussing your particular
ISP(s), and see if they might be dropping your IPSec traffic.  The symptoms
you're reporting are very consistent with protocol 50 traffic not making it
through the network between your two VPN boxes.

I don't know of an easy way to test for this...with the two LEAF boxes at
either end, probabaly the easiest thing to do is run the following commands
on *BOTH* VPN gateway's:

ipchains -I input -p 50 -l
ipchains -I output -p 50 -l

This will cause *ALL* ESP (protocol 50) packets to get logged when entering
and leaving your firewall.  If you see packets getting sent from one
mahcine, but not being recieved by the other end, you'll know something is
wrong, probably the ISP at one end or the other filtering the traffic...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net