At 12:04 PM 4/30/02 -0500, Dennis Stephens wrote:
>Have started this morning with a cable modem problem and worked through it
>with Tech Support.  Now the through put is less than half of what it should
>be.  How can I determine that the problem is on the provider's side of the
>system and not in my firewall or home network?

For our purposes, a good starting place would be describing what you mean by
"through put is less than half of what it should be". What throughput are
you expecting, what are you getting, and how are you measuring it (include
between where and where)?

I ask because the traceroute result you report below is not really a local
throughput measure, and response delays of the sort you mention there are
far from surprising. I couldn't repliacte your experience this morning, but
then I'm "closer" to Yahoo (only 10 steps) than you apparently are.

The only thing the cable company can deliver on is *local* throughput, for
the bandwidth between its head end and your cable modem. (Arguably, it can
be held account for the quality of its connections to the broader Internet
as well, but it can't be expected to deliver speed at, say, the Yahoo end of
the connection.)

traceroute (or ping) latencies *can* indicate throughput problems, but the
better test for that is pinging your gateway address from the router itself;
then all the connectivity between you and the ping target is the
responsibility of the cable ISP.

The usual source of degredation on cable connections is congestion ... a
cable connection is really a big LAN, in which you and other users share
bandwidth. The cable companies like to point fingers at what they call
"bandwidth hogs", but the real problem is that they advertise a grade of
service greater than what their actual technology can deliver (the so-called
"bandwidth hogs" are just the people who try actually to use the bandwidth
they've been promised).

In practice, with equipment of the quality you are using, I've seen about a
10% hirt on throughput. But only at the higher levels of LAN-to-LAN routing
(nominally 10 Mbps; in practice, about 5 Mbps). The usual range of offsite
connections -- 384 Kbps to 1544 Kbps -- does not normally induce
router-based throughput losses.

>They are taking the
>position (of course they would), that they can not see a reason for the
>reduction.  The Dachstien floppy is working fine, with only a slight hole
>poked through it for my VPN connection to the corporation.

A 486/66 is plenty fast for a normal NAT'ing router, but it isn't very much
horsepower for running a VPN. From what you wrote, I can't tell where in the
system the VPN'ing is being done. If on the router, that could be slowing
things down.

When you are having speed problems, what does the router's CPU utilization
look like? (Can someone remind me how to check this in Dachstein? I usually
use top for this, but I don't think Dachstein includes it.)

>Everything is
>working, the weblet, the bandwidth monitor et al.  Just working
>slowly.

Do you really mean that a connection from the Weblet to a host on the LAN is
"working slowly"? If so, this suggests a local problem, not a cable-side
problem.

>How do I determine where a bottleneck or degradation is
>occurring?  Did a traceroute from here to yahoo and had a hop that was 200+
>ms and one other of the 22 hops that was 700+.ms.

Where was "here"? The router or a host on the LAN behind the router? Was the
VPN involved?

Depending on time of day and other details, delays of this sort can occur
without the cable company (or anything else local) being at fault.