Sad news Jacques, still no progress.

I have loaded the modules and made the changes you mentioned with no
success. I have read much material on the subject (what you and others
have referenced), and it still makes no sense. Most papers indicate
native support in the 2.4 kernel then instructs to download source/tools
and recompile the kernel. Other papers are outdated and talk about
licensing issues with M-System.

Here is what I know:
- kernel 2.2 does not have proper DoC support while 2.4 does.
- M-System has the source for a driver, but it doesn't work with 2.4.20
without a patch.
- The "Linux MTD, JFFS HOWTO" paper is long and complex.
- The "Linux MTD" paper indicates support in the 2.4 kernel.
- The "Linux MTD" paper indicates downloading drivers and tools then
recompiling the kernel.
- This is not a simple process like loading an ide driver and mounting
it.

Modules that were loaded (in order):
  mtdcore.o
  nftl.o
  docecc.o
  doc2000.o

These were located in "/boot/lib/modules" and declared in
"/boot/etc/modules".

Added mtd as a device:
  cd /var/lib/lrpkg
  ae root.dev.mk
  # at the bottom of the file added:

  mknod /dev/mtd0 b 90 0 >null 2>&1
  cd /

Attempted to mount the device as:
  mount /dev/mtd0 /mnt

That results in the error message "Device not configured".

I'm stumped.

Darren