At 08:44 AM 5/31/02 -0700, Jonathan Berglund wrote:
>What do I need to remotely access my lrp box? I want to be able to have
>direct access to the box from anywhere inside my lan, securely of course
>;-)

Depends a bit on what LEAF version you are using, how secure "securely"
needs to be, and how general purpose "access" needs to be.

1. Best is to run an SSH server on the LEAF router and use an SSH client
(openSSH for Linux, Putty for Windows) to connect to it from anywhere.

2. Run a serial connection to it from some other server, and use SSH to
connect to that server from wherever. This works if, say, your LEAF router
lacks the disk space to add the SSH package or (improbable) the CPU power
to handle the encryption.

The alternatives of using a Web-based front end or making connections via
telnet are MUCH less secure. If you need to use them, you can limit, via
firewall rules and hosts_access rules, connectivity to the LAN. Depending
on how trustworthy your LAN is, this might be good enough, though I
generally discourage people from taking these approaches.

If you are really using LRP, not LEAF, you might want to inquire on the LRP
list (thereiis still sucha  list, isn't there) about what SSH package works
with LRP 2.9.8 (which I think is still the current version). I wouldn't
assume the newer versions available for LEAF work with it. (And I'd also
check if whatever version works with it is new enough to have patched the
SSH security hole that was found about a year ago.)

--