A few comments ...

1. We don't have idiots here (at least I don't think we do), so I infer
from your use of the phrase "idiot image for 1680" that you are using Dave
Cinege's old LRP 2.9.8, not one of the newer LEAF distributions that this
list primarily supports. This increases the plausibility of the guess (that
someone else made) that you have a syslinux problem. Try a newer image from
one of the current LEAF versions and see if that helps.

2. I'm surprised that RH does not include /dev/fd0u1680, but you can easily
make it yourself with the mknod command. The major and minor values you
need (taken from my Debian workstation) are 2, 44. We shouldn't rule out
the possibility that your Win2K box's handling of the 1680 format was
marginal, causing it to work with some drives and not others.

3. The third realistic possibility is a marginal floppy drive, one that
can't quite manage to read the additional tracks that the 1680 format uses.
If the target hardware uses a standard floppy drive, you might see if
swapping in a newer one improves the device's performance.

--