Omar D. Samuels wrote (on Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 05:09:49PM -0500):
| What do you mean, I still don't understand.
|
| > | One learns something new everyday... does PAT stand for Private Address
| > | Translation?
| >
| > NAT = Network Address Translation (one to one).
| > PAT = Port Address Translation (one to many).
| >
| > | Is it different from NAR (Network Address Retention)?
| >
| > Dunno. :-)

In NAT, the router essentially changes the source IP number to some other
(presumably better :-) one, and makes no other changes. So, your network
address is hidden, but you still need one public IP address for every host on
your network.

In PAT, the router changes the port number as well (to some random port
number), and keeps track of a table consisting of: the original source IP
number, and the port coded to the packet. The point is that the router can
inspect the reply packet, check the table, and send it off to the machine that
sent the source packet because it knows the port it arrived on. So, many hosts
can use the same IP number.

Both NAT and PAT have their uses; we use both here.

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law           http://yankel.com
Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com