On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:

> Omar D. Samuels wrote (on Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 05:09:49PM -0500):
> | What do you mean, I still don't understand.

> | > NAT = Network Address Translation (one to one).
> | > PAT = Port Address Translation (one to many).

> | > Dunno. :-)
>
> In NAT, the router essentially changes the source IP number to some other
> (presumably better :-) one, and makes no other changes. So, your network
> address is hidden, but you still need one public IP address for every host on
> your network.

I am not aware of how to do this in Linux.  The 2.0 kernel certainly
cannot, I vaguely recall hearing that it is possible with 2.2/ipchains,
and I think 2.4/iptables should be able to but cannot confirm.

More commonly, to get something approximating what you want a DMZ is set
up and either bridge/firewalled or proxyarp/firewalled.

> In PAT, the router changes the port number as well (to some random port
> number), and keeps track of a table consisting of: the original source IP
> number, and the port coded to the packet. The point is that the router can
> inspect the reply packet, check the table, and send it off to the machine that
> sent the source packet because it knows the port it arrived on. So, many hosts
> can use the same IP number.

This is called "masquerading" in Linux, and is quite well supported.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing