> Another question for the list: can Linux cum Dachstein

> a) alias the eth0
> (external) interface to multiple ip numbers (in SCO unix we use 'ifconfig
> alias'

Yes

> b) pass along somehow (to ipchains or whatever) which ip number the
> packet arrived with?

Of course...this is pretty much *ALWAYS* embedded in the actual IP packet,
or all IP networking would be broken :)

> If so, I suppose I could use ipchains to REDIRECT to a
> local port, and then portfw to push it to the right machine. Well.

Hmm...I'm not sure if you can do this.  Kind of depends on the interactions
between port-forwarding and ipchains re-direct.  You'll just have to try it
and see what happens.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be able to control
port-forwarding of packets via source-IP.  Another potential way to tackle
this problem might be multiple routing tables.  You could build several
routing tables, each containing static NAT rules for a particular internal
system.  You would then set up rules directing packets to a particular
routing rule (and hence internal machine), based on source IP (or any of the
other advanced routing features, including fwmark values created by IPChains
rules).  I haven't done much along these lines, but I think it's
possible...if not, the 2.4 kernels are more flexable with this sort of
setup.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net