>> Microsoft traceroute uses icmp whereas unix traceroute tends to use udp

>> ports in the range above 33000.

>Huh.  That's wild.  I didn't know UDP was useful for such things.  I'd've

>thought there'd have to be like a "tracerouted" listening to some UDP

>port(s) for it to work that way, whereas I thought the TCP/IP stack was

>responsible for responding to certain ICMP messages, and that ICMP's whole

>reason for being was things like ping and traceroute (and lower-level

>equivalents).

The unix traceroute is based on the fact that you will respond with
a package stating that nothing is listening on that port. That is
normal behaviour if you don't have a firewall DROPping the package.
A reject rule might make a unix traceroute already happy (not sure though).

As to making the traceroute from microsoft work, I am pretty sure it
involves some icmp rule being added, not sure what though. But default
bering only allows icmp type 8 in which is the echo request icmp
packet. Just testing by allowing all icmp in should confirm my suspicion
that it is an icmp related issue. Close it up afterwards again.

I will try and network monitor an microsoft traceroute and come back with
a better filtered solution.

Kim Oppalfens