[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> There are some hacks based on ICMP like the icmp redirect message.
> So is there a specific danger to allow this from your internal network?
> I don't know depends on how much you trust the people on your internal network
> I suppose.

Well, on my home network it's just me, so that figure would be ~100%, but I
suppose I can't necessarily say the same about my company's internal network.

> I have done a network monitor of a traceroute session and traceroute uses
> identical packets as ping does just with shorter TTL.
> Traceroute in ms is based on the fact that if the ttl becomes 0 the
> router that drops the packet because of this sends you a time to live exceeded
> in transmit back. (This message contains the routers ip address).

Ah.  Very interesting.  Now I begin to see how UDP packets could do the
"traceroute magic" as well...

> Ms traceroute sends 3 of these packages to every hop.
> So if 1 of them is timing out it is probably a site between you and
> your traceroute target that has icmp replies filtered.
>
> Bottom line it is probably out of your hands. Someone on the road is
> blocking icmp. It doesn't kill traceroute but it means your missing one hop.

Um, right.  It's the first hop.  My Bering firewall.  That's what we were
talking about...

--
Dan Harkless
[EMAIL PROTECTED]