[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> The unix traceroute is based on the fact that you will respond with
> a package stating that nothing is listening on that port. That is
> normal behaviour if you don't have a firewall DROPping the package.

Yeah, but I didn't realize UDP packets could know anything about the routers
in between you and the destination machine.  I thought only ICMP packets had
that power.

> A reject rule might make a unix traceroute already happy (not sure though).
>
> As to making the traceroute from microsoft work, I am pretty sure it
> involves some icmp rule being added, not sure what though. But default
> bering only allows icmp type 8 in which is the echo request icmp
> packet. Just testing by allowing all icmp in should confirm my suspicion
> that it is an icmp related issue. Close it up afterwards again.

Why, is there a specific danger to allowing ICMP packets from your internal
network to the firewall box?

> I will try and network monitor an microsoft traceroute and come back with
> a better filtered solution.

That'd be great...

--
Dan Harkless