On Saturday 21 September 2002 12:28, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> This is a new one to me. I hope someone else will turn out to be
> familiar with it and post a simple solution, but I wouldn't count on
> it. (I waited awhile before replying, in this hope.)

I'll have to agree with Ray one this one. There is generally a higher
port that ftp servers use for multiple traffic requests on the server
side of the net (ie... port 1021 is common for Linux ftp server
traffic). However you should not need to open anything on your
firewall to RECEIVE a requested ftp file. In 2.2 LEAF boxes, udp
traffic is not blocked, only tcp which would normally be request
instead of a response. The 2.4/iptables LEAF firewalls use
connection tracking, so if your client/firewall requested a ftp
file it will remember and accept it.

The only possible option I can think of an ISP using a different
port would be some form of a proxy, which is not typical of any
decent ISP that I am aware of. I would have to think that something
very fishy is going on with your ISP. Is your ISP running NAT???
This could be the only reason for using a different port for NAT
transversal.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!