> Charles, please help me clarify this in my mind if you would
please...if
> I want my Private Student LAN to have the internet public addresses,
> isn't this really a bridge? Here's what I mean-
>
> Internet-----Bering Box 1----(School LAN)-----Bering Box 2-----Private
> Student LAN
>
> I want the private student LAN to have the public, internet addresses
> from Bering Box 1. And because I have to go through the existing,
school
> LAN I want the traffic encrypted. But, in my mind, because I want the
> Private Student LAN to have those public addresses...this is a bridge
> isn't it? Thank you for your help!

Well, maybe the way you think about it, it's a bridge, but in linux
networking parlance, a bridge, or bridging, relates to linking two
physical network segments together, essentially doing the job of an
ethernet "hub" or "switch".

What you're describing is more typically a job handled by simple
routing.  Since you want the data going over the school LAN encrypted,
you will be building a VPN "tunnel" between your two Bering boxes, and
routing all Private Student LAN traffic through the tunnel.

The two Bering boxes will need to know about the tunnel and routing
rules, but all the machines on the Private Student LAN need to know is
to use Bering Box 2 as their default gateway.

Confused yet?  :-)

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net