On Tuesday 29 October 2002 23:55, dan carter wrote:
> guitarlynn wrote:
> >A M$ WINS server will likely be a pain to get to sync across
> > subnets, however Samba servers do it effortlessly. It might be
> > harder to setup a WINS server, but at last look the line added to
> > smb.conf only required "wins server=yes" to set it up as a wins
> > server. You also need to add a line for sync'ing the remote servers
> > (by ip address). If this is not something your going to want to
> > try, your probably not going to have any success without a lot more
> > work across subnets.
>
> What's the option to get WINS servers syncing?  I can't find any
> mention of it in the documentation for smb.conf.  Im running 2.2.6
> here which appears to be the latest.

>From the online Using Samba Book:

[global] remote announce = remote list

Default: NULL

Allowable values: list of remote addresses

Adds workgroups to the list on which the Samba server will announce
itself. Specified as IP address/workgroup (for instance,
192.168.220.215/SIMPLE) with multiple groups separated by spaces.
Allows directed broadcasts. The server will appear on those workgroup's
browse lists. Does not require WINS.

 [global] remote browse sync = address list

Default: NULL

Allowable values: IP-address list

Enables Samba-only browse list synchronization with other Samba local
master browsers. Addresses can be specific addresses or directed
broadcasts (i.e., ###.###.###.255). The latter will cause Samba to hunt
down the local master.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!