        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Charles Steinkuehler [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

        Wrigglesworth, Colin wrote:
        > Didn't take me log to find out what the brain dead problem
is....tinydns
        > isn't running. Why?...well I don't actually know but I'm sure this
has got
        > something to do with it:
        >
        > # /etc/init.d/tinydns start
        > /etc/init.d/tinydns start: UID: readonly variable
        > #
        >
        > So what is causing this? It is tinydns 1.0.5a from the Dachstein
1.0.2 CD
        > but I have also downloaded the same package from
        > http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/packages/tinydns.lrp
        > <http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/packages/tinydns.lrp>
with the
        > same result.

        Are you running bash by any chance?  If so, that's the problem...UID
is
        a read-only variable in bash, but ash doesn't support read-only
variables.

        If this is the problem, a quick solution would be to change the
shell
        interpreter (first line of the shell script) to ash, ie:

        change:
        #!/bin/sh

        to:
        #!/bin/ash

        --
        Charles Steinkuehler

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally
privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any
other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose,
copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this
e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform RACAL INSTRUMENTS LTD.
immediately by phoning +44 (0)1628 604455 (ask for the I.T. dept) and delete it and
all copies from your system.