Hi,

>  After reading this, I'm a bit confused.  Is it a commercial or opensource
> product?

  It a commercial quality opensourced project. That is, we want to mimic the
best functionality around but keep it as opensource as possible. Of course,
some parts of it are closed source, antivirus, but the "hook" to the
antivirus engine is opensource.

  The difference is we plan to provide support and sell it already installed
in a great hardware. Also, we plan to make custom development, say you want
us to add "HTTP load balancing with session control". We need to to debote
company resources to such a task and will charge you for that, but then
provide it for free to the community.

  Of course, not everything is money. As part of our apport to the great Leaf
project we will privide quite a bit of functionallity allready in the first
image. We have made an easy Bering (or Lince) installer, we have added
htbinit for QoS, we provide those lurky modifications you need to install it
right away in a hard disk, and so on. As we hope this will catch some
attention in this list, and as new features are developed by the community we
will release more code ourselves.

  Also, if our business model succeeds, we plan to "donate" money and
resources to this great community. Say hosting space, hardware, $$$,
whatever. This way we will just thank in a clear way those efforts done in
Leaf.

  If you know coyotelinux is more or less the same stuff but with a big
difference, we wont restrict the downloading. Once a feature has been
developed and payed for (say in money, say in other functionality) we will
release more code into the public sourceforge area. FE, we might be
interested in zebra integration. We could do it ourselves, or somebody could
provide it (I dont care if that coder is getting paid or not for his job).
In exchange we will release a new feature, and so on.

  So if the community really involves itself in developing and testing we
will provide much code than if they just wait and wait. We have already
devoted a 3 month period of coding from my partner and friend. He has
implemented all the points I said in a prior email, we are just eager to make
them public as this project evolves, but dont expect us to make ALL public
the first time. We had such a experience with our local LUG and was really
frustating to see a 0 code contribution when you gave them quite a bit of
resources.

  Thanks in advance.

--
Jaime Nebrera Herrera