From: Brad Fritz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 12:46 AM
To: John Mullan
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Problem: Bering DOC in latest "stable" version

John,

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 19:19:01 EST John Mullan wrote:

> Well, I've spent the weekend changing from my Dachstein DHCP system on
> DoC to Bering PPPoe (changed ISPs) latest "stable" version I believe
> based on 2.4.18 kernal.
>
> It didn't take too long to implement the PPPoE feature using the
> Install/User guides.  But the DoC part has me baffled.  Currently, my
> Bering implementation works fine but still on floppy.
>
> After searching archives and re-reading the guides many times, my
> results follow:
>
> - I get the expected messages from  "insmod docprobe.o"
>
>       DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xD8000

Looks good so far.

>       (numbers differ as I couldn't directly copy the screen results)
>
> - nftl.o module seems fine (don't get the "size != 1" error) and =
> returns with
>
>       partition check:
>         nftla: nftla1

Also good.  I get:

  Using /boot/lib/modules/nftl.o
  NFTL driver: nftlcore.c $Revision: 1.82 $, nftlmount.c \
  $Revision: 1.25 $
  Partition check:
   nftla: nftla1
  Mounting a 6M TMPFS filesystem...

when I boot from the DoC.

> - DOC is recognized "cat /proc/mtd"
>
>       dev: size erasesize name
>       mtd0: 05000000 00004000 "DiskOnChip 2000"

Looks okay.

> - I cannot: mount, fdisk, mkfs
>
>       mkdir /flash
>       mount -t msdos /dev/nftla1 /flash
>               Device not configured

That might happen if /dev/nftla is not properly partitioned
(fdisk) or /dev/nftla1 does not have an MS-DOS filesystem on
it (mkfs.msdos).  What happens if you try

  fdisk /dev/nftla

instead?  Can you see the MS-DOS partition from fdisk?  Is it
set to active?  Assuming the answers are all "yes", can you
create an MS-DOS filesystem on the partition using:

  mkfs.msdos /dev/nftla1

?  If the mkfs goes well, you should definitely be able to mount
/dev/nftla1 .

> The DOC has been "reformatted" with M-Sys version 4.2 because 5.x was
> not compatible.

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the M-Sys utilities.  I
never found a need to use any of there software with my DoC.  (I'm
not even sure if mine was formatted with 4.2 or 5.x.)  That said,
if you can boot MS-DOS from the DoC the UG directions *should* work.

> I also put an MSDOS FAT-16 on it prior to this venture
> but tried fdisk anyway.

Did you use Bill's fdisk or linux fdisk?  What were the results?
Better yet, what is the output of the linux "fdisk -l /dev/nftla"
command?

> PROBLEM:  Why is nftla, nftla1 not "configured".  What am I missing
> and/or where should I look.

My guess is a partition or filesystem problem with the DoC.  Let
me know about the fdisk and mkfs.msdos results.  If the problem
seems to be elsewhere, I will lookup the error message you quoted
in the source.

--Brad