On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:18:47 EST John Mullan wrote:

> OK Brad, some fantastic success.  I now get the expected fdisk results.
> However, previously I also got the expected /proc/mtd results, but now I
> get 'permission denied'.

Just to verify, do you get that message when you "cat /proc/mtd"?

> However I CAN mount /dev/nftla1 without trouble.  I copied everything,
> redid SYSLINUX and RDEV and I am booting from the DoC with Bering
> instead of Dachstien!

Excellent!

> My next question is: what is the problem with /proc/mtd if any?  Should
> I care because I'm not sure at this point I even know what the purpose
> is.

It is created when the mtdcore.o module is loaded.  The values,
which appear after loading the doc*.o modules, describe
characteristics of the recognized MTD devices.  As to whether
it is important, I am not really sure.  If you want to diagnose
it, "ls -l /proc/mtd" would be a good start.  If the permissions
look normal, i.e. readable by at least root, the next step would
be to run "strace cat /proc/mtd" after loading strace.lrp which
is floating around somewhere.

--Brad