From: Brad Fritz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 8:15 PM
To: John Mullan
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Problem: Bering DOC in latest "stable" version

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:20:51 EST John Mullan wrote:

> Hi Brad.
>
> When I run 'fdisk /dev/nftla' it gives me 'unable to open /dev/nftla'

The output of 'ls -l /dev/nftla*' should look like this:

  brw-rw----  1  root   root  93,   0   Dec  2  16:51   /dev/nftla
  brw-rw----  1  root   root  93,   1   Dec  2  16:51   /dev/nftla1
  brw-rw----  1  root   root  93,   2   Dec  2  16:51   /dev/nftla2
  brw-rw----  1  root   root  93,   3   Dec  2  16:51   /dev/nftla3
  brw-rw----  1  root   root  93,   4   Dec  2  16:51   /dev/nftla4

Are your major and minor numbers (93 and 0-4) and permissions
correct?  If that checks out, what is the output of lsmod?  Do

  nftl
  docprobe
  doc2000
  docecc
  mtdcore

appear in that order?

> As far as the existing file system on the DOC, it has always had MSDOS
> on it.  The DOC boots fine (at least until I did "syslinux".  Now it
> starts booting into Linux but stops because it cannot find the
packages
> and hangs.  But then, it still technically has FAT on it.
> Any other hints?

If the kernel and initrd are loading and then it hangs, that sounds
a lot like a module or device config problem to me.  If /proc/mtd is
still:

> >     dev: size erasesize name
> >     mtd0: 05000000 00004000 "DiskOnChip 2000"

the mtdcore.o and doc*.o modules are probably fine.  I would double
check that nftl is properly insmoded.

If you're still having problems after checking all of the above,
feel free to send me the output of dmesg after booting with the
DoC-enabled floppy offline.  I'd be happy to compare it to mine
and let you know if anything jumps out at me.

--Brad