At 12:32 AM 12/27/02 -0500, Omar D. Samuels wrote:
Hey all.  Just setting up a LEAF box at home from scratch with my new
fixed wireless connection.  For some strange reason I'm doing what I
always do same hardware and it just doesnt seem to work.

I was wondering... would the fact that by default the internal network
is 192.168.1.x and my broadband IP is also 192.168.1.x (in the same
subset) caused a problem and if so how do I get over this?
Yes, it will cause a problem in the routing table. You "get over" it by changing the internal network to something that does not conflict, as you did below.

I tried tinkering with stuff, changing the internal to 172.16.0.x and
such, but only got as far as getting a client to resolve a domain name,
but get this... it wont ping that resolved server, any IP and wont
browse.

Help me please.... thanks.
First, you should read the LEAF FAQ, specifically the part that discusses ping failures.

But *possibly* your problem is that you have the router set to DENY packets to private-range addresses on the external interface. Since your ISP uses a priate-range address, that will prevent it from receiving external traffic. I don't know how you do manage to "resolve a domain name" given this problem, but you're really described your setup in such general terms that I could easily be missing something. For a quick fix, turn off rfc-1918 blocking in the firewall script (whichever one you are using with Dachstein ... several drop ins are available in additiojn to its default, and I don't know ehat you "always do" in that respect).

If that isn't it ... and really it is just a guess ... read over the SR FAQ (referenced below) and use it to compose a more systematic report of your setup and your problems.