Okay guys, thanks for the response, it's been a while so I guess I
forgot that this IS a place for details.  Allow me then to start over.

Alright... got the floppy-based Dachstein, did a fresh diskette, stuck
it into my 486/DX2, 16MB RAM, with two identical RTL8019 NICs.  Now I've
used the same hardware before as a gateway on a different network and it
worked.  This time around I'm trying it at home.  I have one of the
primewave wireless boxes, that come down into a RJ45 box that I plug the
External interface of the box into and get DHCP address 192.168.1.x from
192.168.1.111 DHCP server.  The problem is that this is the same subnet
being given out on the internal side of the box.  I figured that this
would cause a problem and started tinkering to change the internal
interface subnet to 172.16.0.x/24.  I still couldnt ping anything from
an internal client machine, however this time whenever I ping a domain
name (Eg. www.yahoo.com) it resolves, but after resolving still couldnt
ping the IP address resolved.  I've tried rebooting of client machine
and clearing the history and temp files and pinging domains not
previously pinged just to make sure that it was in fact actively
resolving domains.

I looked at the IPCHAINS chains and there are a whole bunch of rules
loaded in there... as a test I tried going thru the filter file with the
rules and changing the deault policy from DENY to ACCEPT for input,
forward, output.... I tried adding the internal subnet... as a matter of
fact everything to the hosts.allow file (ALL : ALL).  I even manually
from the command line tried flushing all chains and setting the policies
to ACCEPT.

I was also wondering of all the Filter settings (none|router|firewall)
which would be a safer bet to get this thing to work?

I hope I did better on the description this time, if anyone has any
insight or suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em thanks.