Hi Nick,

> I've downloaded the source for kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org.

great

> I'm assuming that using the config file that you pointed me to,
> adjusted so that the Math-Emulation flag is on, I should be able
> to build the kernel that I need?

mod it however you'd like, but be a little careful with the modules like
iptables (leave them the way they are unless you want to create a custom
modules.lrp).

> The patches that were in the 1.1 directory:
>
> bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.19.diff.gz
> grsecurity-1.9.9c-2.4.20.patch.gz
> helpers-2.4.20.patch.gz
> linux-2.4.19-openssl-0.9.6b-mppe.patch.gz

I didn't apply these to mine, but you might want them.  I know the
openssl-mppe patch is for PPTP functionality and the bridge-nf is some kind
of unusual bridging patch.  By looking at the source or using google you can
probably find out what the other two are fairly quickly.

> I assume that I apply all of these to the 2.4.20 source that I've
> obtained? Is that correct? I guess I'm a little confused as some
> of these patches appear to be for 2.4.19...

Usually when you see older versions in a "CURRENT" directory it means the
patches will apply cleanly to the current.  So in this case I would assume
the 2.4.19's will apply against 2.4.20.

> Once I've done all that, I'm also assuming that I can use the
> precompiled modules for 2.4.20 without having to worry about
> recompiling them too.

yes, AFAIK.  if you have problems you can always make modules and replace
the problem modules with ones from your specific build.

> Could someone let me know if I'm way off track here?

AFAIK you're ok.. you're pretty much doing what I did and it worked for me.
Hopefully we're not both off track. ;)