Peter, thanks again for your comments.

Hopefully this will be the final question!

I've now compiled a kernel using the 2.4.20 sources and the Bering
config file.

I used:

make clean
make dep
make bzImage

and ended up with a kernel of 640KB, whereas the "linux" file on the
Bering floppy is a mere 518KB.

Could adding Math Emulation have added that much?

Or should I have entered something different from "make bzImage", i.e.
is there some command that creates a smaller file?

Or is there something else wrong?

If anyone could help me over this final hurdle, it would be much
appreciated.

If I do get to the stage of having a decent, small, non-FPU kernel
based on 2.4.20, is this something that could be stored on the
website for other people with ancient 486SXs?

Thanks

Nick