Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

Thinking about this some more, I'm beginning to suspect the DSL line.

If I may, would this possibility not have been obviated when Dale connected a Win98 box to the line and had no loss in pings?

But taking that bad-copper theory further I'll make mention of the value of a Alcatel SpeedTouchHome DSL Modem. Someone once posted elsewhere that they'd never bother to buy a DSL line tester because the STH has such great diagnostics built-in.

I'll first make mention of a great GUI for eyeballing the STH stats, without navigating the crude command-line interface: "Nubz Alcatool". It can be downloaded here (for Win, & Mac OS 8, 9, X):
http://www.nubz.org/alcatool/Download.html

To see the stats that are probably relevant for you you'll want to fire up the Alcatool, login with the 'telnet' password for your STH, then in the bottom right corner, click "Line Stats", then in the new window click "Line Info". This will give you (by default) download-only stats. To activate the upload stats click on ResetLine, wait a few secs, and you'll have the info.

What to look for:
Instead of my repeating, just eyeball this page: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6728
(ignore the stuff about 'Expert' password - the Alcatool handles all that invisibly).

Me, I'm on a 3.0 MB service, but have been downgraded (by the techs at my local central office) to a 1.5MB 'profile' because I'm 'measured' as 5 km from the CO (as the copper flows, so to speak). FWIW I run happily and merrily at 98-101% 'capacity occupation', 5-6db noise margin so take the suggestions of limits mentioned the dslreports as suggestions and not as carved in stone.

If you do want to have a change to your DSL profile and are currently on "Fast Used ATM rate" (you can tell because those fields are > 0 and the 'interleaved' fields are = 0) and are pushing the limits (i.e. <= 6db noise, > 97% capacity occupation) you could ask the CO to change you to "interleaved ATM rate". The effect is an increase (IIRC: 5-10ms) in latency but throughput remains basically unchanged. Or you could have then just change you to a slower profile, staying as "Fast ATM rate". Or both.

I've also observed that a newer STH modem (i.e. 'G' series) gives me a higher speed connection than an older, K-series STH modem.

Good luck.

scott; canada