> Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>
>> Thinking about this some more, I'm beginning to suspect the DSL line.
>
> If I may, would this possibility not have been obviated when Dale
> connected a Win98 box to the line and had no loss in pings?

Thank you, Scott. I've downloaded the software and I'll give it a try
momentarily.

Update: I'm in Boise, more confused than ever. Pings from the Win98 box
(which is directly connected to the 4-port hub on the FlowPoint 2200 DSL
router) on which I'm composing this message to anywhere never drop. When I
connect the DachBox to the same DSL LAN port packets are dropped at a rate
of anywhere from 20% to 100%. Connecting my Apple laptop (OS 10.3) in the
same way packets are dropped anywhere from 0% to 50%. From the laptop, I
got results of 2%, 4%, 14%, 30%, and 50% (not in that order) when I sent
50 packets to the DSL router or to my webserver in Seattle. Also, I
connected the laptop to the DachBox via a crossover cable and dropped no
packets from the laptop to the LEAF router or from the LEAF router to the
laptop.

Before I did this testing, I completely disabled ipsec to remove that
variable.

I installed and ran tcpdump -i eth0 (the public address) not port ssh as
Peter Mueller suggested, and got a flood of results that in no way
resembled his example. I was not able to tell anything from that.

I called the ISP and a tech ran through some tests with me. He logged in
to the DSL router and sent pings to this computer when I had it connected,
and to the LEAF public address (64.113.213.14) after I hooked it back up.
Pings from the DSL router to this computer were perfect. Pings to the
DachBox dropped at a rate of 30%.

All of which told him that the problem was the LEAF router. He could not
explain why the PowerBook dropped packets as well. As he pointed out
(accurately, as far as I know) the DSL router can't tell the difference
between a packet from a *nix client and one from a Windows client. Still,
something strange is going on there.

While I was on the phone with ISP tech support, the replacement DachBox2
arrived from Seattle. I terminated that call (we'd done just about all we
could think of anyway) and I hooked up the new box. Same results. Dropped
packets all over the place. Unless we want to postulate a very untimely
double fault, I don't know what to make of that.

The bottom line to all of the above is that I'm more stumped than ever and
don't know what to do next. I suppose I'll try to replace the eth0 NIC in
the DachBox2 to try to eliminate the double fault possibility. I actually
tried to do that earlier today as well, but neither of the NICS worked
after that. When I restored the NIC I'd removed, they worked again.

I don't know how to get the ISP to seriously consider the possibility that
their connection could be at fault. They simply don't see any problem from
their end.

If possible, I'm more open than ever to any suggestion.

Dale Mirenda