Okay... I still think something is wrong. This is what
/etc/init.d/ipsec start is doing:

ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 1.0.9...
insmod: not an ELF file
insmod: Could not load the module: Success
ipsec_setup: Using ipsec
ipsec_setup: Using /lib/modules/ipsec.o

_startklips has this line somewhere in the middle:

# load module if possible
if test ! -f $ipsecversion
then
    # statically compiled KLIPS not found; try to load the module
    insmod ipsec
fi
     ^

      --- errors out here because /lib/modules is not in my path
          and it's trying to load the ipsec executable.
          Should /lib/modules be in the path (presumably the start)?

The following 'if' statement has this:

test -r /lib/modules/ipsec.o && insmod /lib/modules/ipsec.o

And this is where the module loads successfully.

The entire block of statements:

# load module if possible
if test ! -f $ipsecversion
then
    # statically compiled KLIPS not found; try to load the module
    insmod ipsec
fi

if test ! -f $ipsecversion
then
        if test -r $modules             # kernel does have modules
        then
#               setmodule
#               unset MODPATH MODULECONF        # no user overrides!
#               depmod -a >/dev/null 2>&1
#               modprobe -v ipsec
        test -r /lib/modules/ipsec.o && insmod /lib/modules/ipsec.o
        fi
        if test ! -f $ipsecversion
        then
                echo "kernel appears to lack KLIPS"
                exit 1
        fi
fi

Observation: why is 'if test ! -f $ipsecversion' tested twice?

Conclusion: I have commented out 'if...insmod ipsec' and ipsec_aes.o is
now loaded/unloaded through prepluto=/postpluto= in ipsec.conf. -cpu

Erich Titl wrote:

> cpu memhd wrote:
>
>> Using buildtool to build openswan for bering-uclibc 2.3 beta (kernel
>> 2.4.29). Copy ipsec.lrp to LEAF box... everything seems normal
except
>> ipsec does not load ipsec_aes.o like it used to before.
>>

> IIRC this was never loaded by the original (FreeSWan) code. It is
pretty trivial to fix though.

>> This becomes more of a problem when I want to:
>>
>> svi ipsec stop (or restart) because it cannot unload ipsec.o without
>> first unloading ipsec_aes.o (which must be loaded manually).
>>
>> I don't understand how this autoloading of modules works. I have
>> compiled my own kernel and perhaps I goofed somewhere, or something
>> else to tweak, or a problem with newer ipsec?
>>

> No autoloading done here you can look  in /lib/ipsec
>
> # grep insmod *
> _startklips:            echo "insmod failed, but found matching
template module $wantgoo."
> _startklips:    insmod ipsec
> _startklips:    insmod ipsec_aes
> _startklips:    test -r /lib/modules/ipsec.o && insmod
/lib/modules/ipsec.o