I use Bering 1.0  stable on that machine.
There are some issues: read carefully the manual that explains how to
boot from the ide (it is on the second IDE iface but at boot time it is
viewed as the first) This affects ALL booting from IDE disks/flash on
that machine: luckily this may be the default setting.
On syslinux.cfg you must address as:
boot=/dev/hdc1:msdos PKGPATH=/dev/hdc1
Remember that you need ide modules into initd.lrp
(to make this you must uncompress initrd.lrp then mount as loop the
uncompressed image ancd then put ide-mod.o ide-disk.o ide-probe-mod.o
into the directory <mountpoint>/boot/lib/modules and their names into
the file <mountpoint>/boot/etc/modules then umount and recompress)
This for bering 1.0-stable: it is so stable that I'm not planning to use
a newer one for the moment.

Hope this can help

Giovanni