Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. My problem is that I am booting from bering floppy with the initrd-ide-cd and I am trying to follow the instructions for creating a CF card. I am using an old CF card and I have no Idea what it contains. I am trying to use fdisk to create a partition and a MBR on the CF card but if the system thinks it's a floppy I cannot access it through hda. I tried fd1 but that gives all kind of strange errors in dmesg.

I tried booting the system without a CF card in the reader but then the reader is not found at all.

I need to find a way to tell ide-detect that the device is not a floppy but a (removable) harddisk

regards

Chera Bekker

Ron Senykoff wrote:

To follow on on my attempts to run Bering from a CF card. I have bought
an IDE card reader and connected it as slave to the primary IDE channel.
When I boot with Bering uclibc  2.2.3 with the initrd replaced by the
initrd-ide-cd I cannot access it as a harddrive.

dmesg gives

hdb: IOMEGAIDE CARD READER, ATAPI cdrom or floppy?, assuming FLOPPY drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

So I guess the card reader is seen as a floppy. How can I force the IDE
driver to recognize it as a harddisk?

How did you create the CF card? You need to use syslinux to make it
bootable (directions in the guide) and then simply copy the files over
from your floppy. I'm saying this thinking that you may have written
the floppy image to the CF card which boot-sector wise may cause
confusion.

-Ron