Hi Victor,

I think I'm out of luck. I have created a bootable CF card using my laptop with Ubuntu and an integrated card reader. I then tried to boot from that card with the IDE cardreader on two different systems. A AMD K5 and a Dell Pentium II 450 (old but good enough for a firewall). The AMD refuses to power on when I have the cardreader in master mode. With the cardreader in slave mode it is found by BIOS as an LS-120 drive. But it refuses to boot from it. The Dell BIOS just doesn't find anything no matter the card reader is slave or master. I have set the BIOS on both systems to auto-detect the ide drives.

According to the manual with the cardreader it uses the IDE/ATAPI interface so I would expect it to be found as a CDROM at least. I'm stuck and back to the floppy.

Regards

Chera

Victor McAllister wrote:

Chera Bekker wrote:

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. My problem is that I am booting from bering floppy with the initrd-ide-cd and I am trying to follow the instructions for creating a CF card. I am using an old CF card and I have no Idea what it contains. I am trying to use fdisk to create a partition and a MBR on the CF card but if the system thinks it's a floppy I cannot access it through hda. I tried fd1 but that gives all kind of strange errors in dmesg.

I tried booting the system without a CF card in the reader but then the reader is not found at all.

I need to find a way to tell ide-detect that the device is not a floppy but a (removable) harddisk

regards

Chera Bekker

how did you setup the BIOS on the host computer? CF's may need a proper BIOS setting to be read, even though they are on an ide adaptor.