groups, freeman wrote:
> Well, on one hand one can propose that there is no more and no less a
> good reason to assemble Samba 3 versus Samba 2 - whatever was the
> impetus for Samba 2 can well apply to Samba 3.
Well, I'm assuming that building samba 3 will be more difficult than
building samba 2 was (and that was difficult enough). I have no proof,
but that's the way it usually goes (it was that way with Bind and OpenSSH)

> But as was pointed out, Samba 3 is significantly larger. That may make
> the possible userbase of Samba 3 smaller than Samba 2 thus reducing the
> justification for assembling it.
I guess that might be the case, but I don't know - it could well be that
the people running samba on leaf today already have boxes big enough to
handle samba3, so it might not change anything.

> I understand that LEAF is primarily a Firewall project and so the effort
> to put together an updated SMB service should not be extraordinary of
> course, but I have to admit that I feel sad that it looks like Samba
> would not get updated simply due to the result being a large package.
To me, it's more a matter of (human) resources. Due to the fact that
there's only a very limited number of people actively working on
packages, priorities have to be set - and currently, it seems that the
priorities are sticking to the "E" and the "F" in LEAF.

If one or two people decide that having samba 3 is important enough for
them to do the work and build (and maintain) a package, that's perfectly
fine with me, and I'm sure that such a package would be included in the
 contrib section of the packages page.

> If it's expected that Samba 3 would be a good chunk of work to get
> working
That's what I assume - but without having tried it, I can't say for sure
(I have no plans to try it though).

Martin